Xiaogang WU 吳曉剛PhD UCLA, 2001
Director, Center for Applied Social and Economic Research (CASER)
Personal Home Page | Full CV
Xiaogang Wu (Ph.D., UCLA, 2001) is Professor of Social Science and Director of the Center for Applied Social and Economic Research (CASER) at HKUST. His research interests include social stratification and mobility, labor markets and economic sociology, and quantitative methodology. His previous work has appeared in American Sociological Review, American Journal of Sociology, Social Forces, Demography, Social Science Research, and among others.
Professor Wu has received numerous research grants and fellowship from the US, Europe, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. He is the Principle Investigator of “Hong Kong Panel Study of Social Dynamics”, funded by the Strategic Public Policy Research Grant (2009-2014), and RGC Collaborative Research Fund (2017-2020), and of two other research projects funded by the Hong Kong Research Grant Council. He is the founding editor of the Chinese Sociological Review, a quarterly journal published by Taylor & Francis [Print ISSN 2162-0555, Online ISSN 2162-0563] (Impact Factor 1.226, 46/153 in sociology). He also serves on Editorial board of Social Forces, Social Science Research, Sociology of Education, Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, Work, Employment, and Society, and among others. In 2012, he was awarded the Prestigious Fellowship in Humanities and Social Sciences by the University Grants Committee of Hong Kong. He currently serves as a member of Humanities and Social Sciences Panel, the European Research Council (2017-2019).
More information on research can be found at http://works.bepress.com/xiaogang_wu/
- Social Inequality, Stratification and Mobility
- Social Demography, Gender and Family
- Urban Sociology
- Survey and Quantitative Methods
- Big Data and Social Science Research
2017 "Exodus from Hunger: The Long-term Health Consequences of the 1959-1961 Chinese Famine." Biodemography and Social Biology [with Zhuoni Zhang and Shige Song]
2017 "Unequal Care, Unequal Work: Towards a More Comprehensive Understanding of Gender Inequality in Post-Reform Urban China." Sex Roles DOI 10.1007/s11199-017-0715-1 [with Yinchun Ji, Shengwei Sun, and Guangye He]).
2017 "Marketization, Occupational Segregation, and Gender Earnings Inequality in Urban China." Social Science Research http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2016.12.001 [with Guangye He]
2017 "The Rise of the Second Generation: Aspirations, Motivations and Academic Success of Chinese Immigrants' Children in Hong Kong" Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1369183X.2016.1245132 [with Duoduo Xu].
2017. "Occupational gregation and Earnings Inequality: Rural Migrants and Local Workers in Urban China" Social Science Research 61:57-74 [with Zhuoni Zhang].
2016. "Urbanization, Socioeconomic Status, and Health Disparity in China." Health & Place 42(1):87-95 [with Jia Miao]
2016. "Changing Ethnic Stratification in Contemporary China." Journal of Contemporary China 25(102): 938-954 [with Guangye He]
2016. "Hong Kong Panel Study of Social Dynamics [HKPSSD]: Research Designs and Data Overview." Chinese Sociological Review 48(2): 162–184.
2015. "Population Migration and Children's School Enrollments in China, 1990-2005." Social Science Research 53:177-190 [with Zhuoni Zhang]
2014. "Ethnic Stratification amid China’s Economic Transition: Evidence from the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region." Social Science Research 44:158-172 [with Xi Song]
2010. "Voluntary and Involuntary Job Mobility and Earnings Inequality in Urban China, 1993-2000" Social Science Research 39: 382-395.
2010. "Economic Transition, School Expansion and Educational Inequality in China, 1990-2000." Research in Social Stratification and Mobility 28:91-108.
2007. "Inequality and Equality under Chinese Socialism: The Hukou System and Intergenerational Occupational Mobility", American Journal of Sociology 113(2):415-45 [with Donald J. Treiman].
2006. "Communist Cadres and Market Opportunities: Entry to Self-Employment in China, 1978-1996", Social Forces 85(1):389-411.
2005. "Market Premium, Social Process, and Statisticism" American Sociological Review 70: 865-70. [with Xie Yu].
2004, "The Household Registration System and Social Stratification in China, 1955-1996" Demography 41(2):363-384. [with Donald J. Treiman]
2003, "Does the Market Pay Off? Earnings Inequality and Returns to Education in Urban China" [with Yu Xie], American Sociological Review 68:425-422
2002, "Work Units and Income Inequality: The Effect of Market Transition in Urban China" Social Forces 80(3):1069 -99.
Forthcoming / Work In Progress
- "Economic Growth, Income Inequality and Subjective Wellbeing: Evidence from China." (with Jun Li).
- "Fertility Decline and Gender Educational Inequality in China" (with Hua Ye).
- "Beyond the Market Transition: Changing Institutional Structure and Class Inequality in Contemporary China" (with Thung-Hong Lin).
- "State Socialism, Industrialism, and Market Transition: Trends in Intergenerational Social Mobility in Contemporary China."
- SOSC 003: Contemporary China
- SOSC 1350 Contempory China: Change and Continuity
- SOSC 180: An Introduction to Chinese Society
- SOSC 3880: Social Inequality and Social Mobility
- SOSC 5090: Statistics for Social Science
- SOSC 5140: Seminar on Chinese Society
- SOSC 5340: Quantitative Analysis in Social Science
- SOSC 5710: Chinese Social Stratification
- SOSC 6030C: Seminar on Social Stratification
- SSMA 5010: Principles in Social Science
- SSMA 5020: Social Statistics
- SSMA 5030: Social Inequality and Stratification
- MGCS 5020: Chinese Social Stratification in Comparative Perspectives